Sync Archives To and From Your Computer (SFTP) - Now in Beta Testing
Permanent.org allows you to use an SFTP client to sync your archive to and from your computer.
What is the SFTP feature?
Our new SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) feature allows you to sync your Permanent.org archive with a folder or directory on your computer using an SFTP client. You can both upload and download your files from your Permanent.org archive. This makes it easier to upload large numbers of files in bulk to Permanent.org. It also provides a way for you to download your entire archive at once.
We hope this feature will be helpful for professional members working with clients, those with large projects that have already been organized outside of Permanent.org, and those who prefer to build their archive through syncing with a local directory.
Testing the SFTP Feature
The new SFTP feature is now available for beta testing. You can sign up to be a beta tester for SFTP by reaching out to email@example.com
The SFTP feature requires you to use an SFTP client of your choice. You will also need to complete a few other steps in your account to enable you to use SFTP. Below outlines the steps you can take to set up SFTP on your device:
- Choose and download an SFTP client (such as Transmit, Filezilla, or Cyberduck)
- Ensure that multi-factor authentication is turned off on your Permanent.org account (if you need assistance with turning off MFA, please reach out to support)
- In your SFTP client, set up a new connection. Select SFTP as the connection type and enter the Permanent SFTP credentials that were shared by our team (please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive these credentials)
- Enter your Permanent credentials as the username and password. If the client asks you for a private key, select None. If you are using a command line tool that asks for the target account, the target account is [your Permanent.org account name or email]@sftp.permanent.org
- Click "Connect" or whatever the client says to confirm the connection. If you get a message about an unknown fingerprint, click Allow
- Once the connection is established, you should now see a top folder called "archives." Each of your archives is listed as a subfolder underneath, labeled by the name of the archive and the archive PA number (this is the number you see in the URL when you go to your Public Archive). Under each archive, there will be a subfolder for each of your workspaces (Private, Public, and Apps)
- You can upload directly to the SFTP client, as well as add new folders, and this will upload to your archive
Please report back about your experiences using SFTP so we can continue to improve the process for our members. We are currently asking that members limit individual uploads to about 250 files or less at a time as we work to improve the queuing system so the site doesn't experience any slowdowns. Please reach out to email@example.com
if you have any questions or to share your experience.
When you create an account, we automatically create a default Archive in your name but you have the ability to create as many Permanent Archives as you want and manage them all from one account. You can create a Permanent Archive for another person, ...
Upload Files from Outside the Mobile App with Share to Permanent
The Share to Permanent feature allows you to import photos or files from your device to your archive through the Permanent mobile app. Use this feature to directly upload photos and videos in your camera roll, emails, or text messages to your ...
You’ve created memories that should last longer than your lifetime. That’s why we’ve built a permanent home you can trust. We preserve data for the next generation, not for profit. We're offering more than just another cloud storage service, we're ...
Upload Your First File
Congratulations on taking the first steps towards preserving your digital memories and legacy. Now that you've created an account, the next step is to upload your first file. Your first archive When you log in to your Permanent account for the first ...
Tour of Your New Permanent Account and Archive
Congratulations on taking the first steps towards preserving the materials and memories that mean the most to you! We are excited to have you joining the Permanent community. When you log into your Permanent.org account, you will land in your first ...